Small is Beautiful
Weekly live stream
We’re trying something new. A weekly update on small technology, small web, and conversations with others in the general area who are working on interesting projects.
Date: Every Thursday
Time: 5PM Cork (UTC +0) / 12PM New York (UTC -5) / 9AM San Francisco (UTC -8)
Next Stream: January 14, 2021
Free and Open Education with Pine64 and elementary OS
We will be joined by Nicolas Vivant, CIO of the city of Fontaine, who oversaw the deployment of 200+ elementary OS PCs and Debian servers in schools in Fontaine. And we’ll be discussing with our panel of guests how Pine64’s inexpensive and ethical Chromebook alternative, combined with elementary OS, could be the perfect educational device.
Hosts: Laura and Aral.
- Cassidy James Blaede, designer and co-founder of elementary OS.
- Lukasz Erecinski, Pine64 community manager.
- Pernille Tranberg, co-founder of Data Ethics EU
- Nicolas Vivant, CIO of the city of Fontaine.
Join in! Have your webcam/microphone and headphones ready if you want to join the conversation in our virtual studio.
You can watch past episodes in the viewer, above.
Episode 2: A small update (January 7, 2021)
In our second episode we talked about Laura’s work on Better Blocker and the Site.js Hugo templates, Margo de Weerdt’s lovely illustrations for the photo blog template, and my preliminary work on Place – the fork of Site.js that I’m working on specifically for the Small Web.
Episode 1: It’s elementary, dear Watson! (December 10, 2020)
Our first episode featured Laura, Aral, and special guest Daniel Foré, founder of elementary OS.
- An introduction to Small Technology and Small Web.
- Aral’s review of his new StarLabs LabTop Mk IV running elementary OS 5.1.7 (and a brief look at the upcoming beta of elementary OS 6 on his PineBook Pro).
- Conversation between Daniel, Laura, and Aral on design, experiences and accessibility in free and open source.