Small Is Beautiful #17
Lessons learned working against the grain of the mainstream
In this informal stream, Laura and I discuss some of the lessons we learned working against the interests of surveillance capitalism for close to the past decade.
- Economic challenges (funding and the challenges of remaining independent)
- Things may take longer than you thought (and that’s ok)
- The challenges of working in an environment where tools and infrastructure have been built to fit needs of large corporations and centralised systems that exploit people for profit.
- Why you might not want to use crowdfunding
- Embracing your humanity (don’t try to emulate corporate models, practices, etc.)
- Design vs. Decoration
- The advantages of iteration, sharing, and working in the open (as well as the challenges)
Streamed using our own Owncast instance. (Hint: you can install Owncast using Site.js.)
If you like this livestream, please help support out work at Small Technology Foundation with a patronage or donation, or share our videos with your friends!